The main objective of the course is to educate students and develop their skills in the:
- Basics of mental illness development, clinical manifestations, course, Diagnostics and basic principles of treatment
- Methods of examining a patient with a mental disorder - conducting a clinical interview, psychological examinations, etc.
- Diagnostic criteria and classification of mental disorders;
4. The place of instrumental-laboratory studies in the process of diagnosing mental disorders, identifying patients' needs and interpreting the obtained results
5. Applying the methods of treatment (medication therapy, psychotherapeutic intervention and social rehabilitation) in the management of mental disorders in accordance with the principles of evidence-based medicine
6. Effective communication with the patient and his / her family members, obtaining informed consent
The main goal of the course is to develop critical thinking and fact-based decision-making competence in psychiatry. In particular, proceeding from the competencies of the subject, the student must develop the basic theoretical and clinical skills in mental disorders’ diagnostics and the appropriate management of acute cases. At the end of the course, students must identify the main psychopathological symptoms and syndromes, offer treatment plans and integrate knowledge in managing common somatic cases at PHC.
- Teacher: Nino Okribelashvili